Apropos of nothing

October 31, 2011 · 12 comments

bdaycake

Honesty is good, right?

Truth be told, I’m in a bit of a pickle. For over four years now, I’ve had a finely-tuned, complex regimen in place in order to write content for this space: cook something, and write about it. Variations on that theme might include eat out and write about it, or perhaps read something, get mad, and write about it. But the gist, by far, was writing about the goings on in my own kitchen.

So with this whole new wacky diet thing, that’s going to be hard for a while. Unless you guys are salivating to hear more about the “bread” I eat in the form of an unsweetened almond-egg pancake.

I was procrastinating writing a post, doing a good job forgetting that I ever decided to start a blog at all, when I was running errands this morning, listening to Terry Gross (I know, her voice, but she does interview really interesting people). She was interviewing Tom Waits (but, his voice, and how weirdly cool it is), and he was (I think) talking about (I turned on the radio halfway through the interview) times in his life when he just wasn’t writing music. How you can’t just make that happen. He said that he used to take an old trash can, one on wheels, and put a tape recorder in the bottom of it. He’d go roll it around outside, all around different places, and then play back the recordings to see if he could find interesting rhythms for inspiration.

My point being, of course, that I would like to put this entire diet thing, along with every almond in the world, into a trash can, roll it around outside, and see if it all turns into something I want to eat.

I mean, no, of course not. I simply related to a need to rethink & relearn, to hear something new.

As of now, my plan is to stick with the GAPS diet as much as possible for the foreseeable future. This means I have a lot of cooking to do — cooking that isn’t really fun, or satisfying (though some of it is, a new post on stock-making is forthcoming!). Until I wrap my head around thinking grain-free, I might not run across much that is inspiring enough to share.

This doesn’t mean I’m going away. It just means I’m struggling, and trying to figure out how much of that should be bestowed upon innocents. I don’t want to bore, don’t want to write a special diet blog. But I also don’t want to lie, or stop writing altogether.

Apropos of nothing?

The photograph was of my daughter’s birthday cake — she turned 8 last week. I kind of wanted to assure everyone (ahem… grandparents) that I’m not forcing my children down this path with me. We made a yellow cake with chocolate icing — I even used cake flour (unbleached, but still, I bought cake flour). I would’ve blogged it — it was a recipe from Smitten Kitchen — but it wasn’t a huge hit. The cake was delicious, but all of us took issue with the chocolate sour-cream frosting — something was off-putting about it (though, really, if you want a yellow cake, this is your recipe).

Oh, and Happy Halloween! While we will be trick-or-treating tonight, I’ve put a 10-piece candy limit on my children (commence with the eye-rolling, grandparents). They each get to choose 10 pieces each to keep, and then the rest we are boxing up to send to U.S. troops overseas (because what better way to support our troops than send them loads of sugar and chocolate provided by child slavery?). Last year they got to eat a piece a day until it was gone (it was never gone — that’s how much candy they got), which I’m convinced led to the infamous Collective Carter Immune System Meltdown of January, February, and March of 2011. This year, I’m going Nazi, and hoping for a better spring.

Long story short: bear with me?

designhermomma October 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm

ok, so I love the idea behind 10 pieces of candy. Here’s what I’m going to do: around 8pm tonight, when you make your kids pick, I’m going to send my kids over to your house. That way, it will be your fault for confiscating the stash. My kids will just believe they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and potentially dislike Mrs. Carter, which I’m willing to risk.

Deal?

katy October 31, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Do it. I can take the heat. Then, from now on, every time they come to my house I’ll serve them homemade ice cream. Soon they’ll forget all about the Halloween Incident of 2011.

(seriously, though — I think the kids will actually get a kick out of choosing. at least, I’m hoping.)

Beth October 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I understand you not wanting to be a “special diet” blog. On the other hand, your candid thoughts throughout and any conclusions you come to on the other side could be interesting. I’m always curious about the extremes of food. And anyway, as long as you’re doing all this suffering…er…personal growth, you might as well share all that hard-earned insight (or lack thereof).

Rebecca November 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

Well I, for one, am interested to hear some feedback on the GAPS diet. So I hope you come back with a little more on that at some point! I enjoy your recipes*, but just as much, I appreciate your thoughtfulness about food and eating, Katy. (Your old blog title was ever so fitting.) So tell me more! I’m here! I’ll read it! Or I’ll wait patiently.

Hilarious about supporting our troops by loading them up with HFCS. Kenton and I discussed this year how we could justify handing all this stuff out to the neighborhood kids, who we ostensibly care about. We did it. But it pained me. Afterward, Kenton said, “It’s a strange thing to do. People knock on your door, you put a piece of candy in a bag, they run away.” What a bizarre cultural tradition.

*I will never stop making your spin on the Grit’s black bean chili. And we had your curried lentils for dinner last night. So yum, consensus all three of us.

Marcy November 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I ditto the others saying go ahead and write about the weird diet. It’s good for those of us who have seen the “appeal,” if you can call it that, but haven’t dared try it yet.

Marcy November 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Also? We did the same, only I was generous and allowed twenty pieces. It was fun for her to sort through and make her choices. The rest she is saving for her grandparents.

Amy November 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

OK, I read that and IMMEDIATELY had to go eat a “Fun-Sized” Butterfinger.

Becky November 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I say if the food you’re eating isn’t causing you joy, it can’t be good for you. :)

Vicky November 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Good luck with the GAPS diet! I’ve been cooking for the SCD and it’s hard work sometimes especially when its Vegetarian SCD! BUT it’s not all about the almonds! But, I love almonds anyway ! Grain free is an adventure! It also saves lives …OK so you have to do without bread but hey ho life’s not always about the food (although I guess it’s a big part of it, and who couldn’t resist Organic chocolate…she says from experience!). The diet made my son better when the medical world were flummoxed! Check out my ginger cake..it might make you think differently! BTW lovely looking cake!

Jennie Rader November 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Katy, about your food blog….go with your gut.

Get it? :)

Ok, bad joke.

Jen November 4, 2011 at 12:43 am

Tho I am usually a staunch supporter of diets geared toward health, I really hope a miniscule exception can be made when you come to San Fran…I’m dying to introduce you to Burma Superstar for their AMAZING and like-no-other tea leaf salad (which may not have any forbidden ingredients) and their samusa soup (both of which have been featured on the Food Network). And I too become a nazi with the candy, and am just about to muse about it for my next post!

punkinmama November 4, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I hope your diet is going well and that you’re feeling better as a result. I know I’d be interested to hear what you eat… and not just for a day, but how you eat for a week or so. Something that would give a glimpse into the reality of this kind of diet. Since I’m already gluten-free, the idea of going completely grain free frightens me. Can’t imagine. Hope it works for you!