S’mores

September 15, 2011 · 15 comments

MI-graycoast

We spent a long weekend last on the shores of Lake Michigan.

MI-boat

It was the first time I’d ever laid my 39-year old eyes on a Great Lake.

MI-kite

Quite taken with the dunes, the need for a sweater on a September morning or evening (but left behind at the house by noon), the old-school ferry that traverses the tiny sea from the port at Ludington, the smooth rocks that mingle with sand on shorelines. I decided this was the beach of my bones, my blood (where somewhere, deep down, lies Irish, I’m sure).

MI-kids-in-grass

Two nights of shore-side campfires, we did what you do, and made s’mores. By the end of the fire, between adults and offspring, figuring out the best method for optimal balance of toasty/melty marshmallows, gooey chocolate, and lightly toasted graham cracker.

MI-kids-at-fire

MI-smores-chocolate-chips

I decided that what the s’more really needs is salt. Wouldn’t a layer of salted caramel sauce, or peanut butter, do just fine?

MI-smores-closeup

A future campfire by the shore will have to tell. Though I think I already know the answer.

MI-kids-sunset-backs

End-of-day, my 5-year old son called it. The Best Day of the Whole Entire World.

designhermomma September 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

I see The Badger in that second photo! Hope you had a great time, we’re headed to MI today!

katy September 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

(I didn’t know it was The Badger until your comment. Ever taken a ride?)
It was everything a vacation should be. Have a great trip!

Beth September 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Several years ago, at a Halloween party, a friend of mine created the “Halloween Miracle”–a s’more made with a Reese Peanut Butter Cup (instead of a chocolate bar). It was incredible. So, yes, try it with peanut butter!

katy September 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm

That’s completely brilliant.
And totally has me re-thinking — because I was leaning toward salted caramel…

Jennie Rader September 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Ha! I was just going to say the exact thing Beth did. My friend Meri who lives in Holland MI (and shares an obsession with me for all things chocolate and peanut butter) shared that Reeses Cup version with us and it is HEAVENLY.

So glad Lake Michigan treated you well…I knew she would:)

katy September 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm

We stopped in Holland on the way up. Were struck by how white and blonde it was ; )
(I immediately texted Emily to tease her.)

Dad September 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm

In the last pic I counted 4 kidos. Who went with you? Oh, for the record peanut butter goes well with ANYTHING! I went to a National Boy Scout Jamboree at the base of Pikes Peak as a youngster. We arrived a day early and they didn’t have food ready for distrbution so they gave us sardines, peanut butter and crackers. I ate sardines with crackers then peanut butter with crackers. Wasn’t bad. As a matter of fact, I still enjoy that combination today. I never would have dreamed that combo but as I said, not bad. (Ann thinks it’s disgusting)

katy September 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Dad, I could see that. I’m thinking of fish dishes with peanut sauce — Thai flavors. Fish and peanut can go well together. I have a can of sardines in my pantry, I might just try it for lunch tomorrow ; )

Dad September 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’ve been going to a wings place here lately for their 10 for $3.50 special. I have locked on to Thai Peanut dressing on the side. It has crumbled peanuts in it. So, I guess peanuts go well with chicken too. Didja try the sardines? Actually, I didn’t remember that you liked sardines. Is this new?

Jennifer Cole September 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I’ve spent a week at “The Lake” every summer since I was about six. Magnificent, isn’t it?

katy September 15, 2011 at 10:14 pm

A few years back we went to Martha’s Vineyard, and it was the first time I’d been to a cold-weather beach, with rocks, and I loved it. So used to the heat and palm trees of southern beaches — the warm water of the Gulf is nice, but I’ll take the cooler northern air any day.

Erin in Indy September 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Love love love s’mores. We can’t do peanut butter in our house due to allergies (although it sounds delish) but I do a big slab of dark chocolate on each graham cracker which I leave to melt on the edge of the fire while I cook the marshmallows…yum.

Also, have sat on the beach at Lake Michigan making s’mores myself. How lucky are we to live in the middle of this great country and have such lovely beaches? My kids still talk about that summer vacation.

Kasey M September 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

How completely precious! I love the third picture. What a perfect way to wrap up summer. Bonfires on the beach are hard to beat. And with Kites too? My goodness.

{ 2 trackbacks }