What to ask the Lt. Governor
when you have her ear.

February 10, 2011 · 12 comments

And I (along with about 20 other bloggers) will have her ear, next week. I have been invited to participate in a Blogger Roundtable Discussion with Lt. Governor Becky Skillman, on Wednesday. It wasn’t until a few days ago that I realized that probably meant I needed to come prepared with some thoughts. Or questions. Or anything other than my “nice” pants (and that’s not a euphemism… I really mean pants that don’t have a drawstring or grease stains).

Earlier this week, my blogger friend Angie wrote a post, asking her readers what type of question they might like her to ask on their behalf. So I decided to steal take inspiration from her idea, and ask my readers the same question. Obviously, this mostly applies to my readers who live in Indiana (though, by all means, if you live elsewhere but have a burning question for our Lt. Governor, then speak up — because otherwise I might end up inquiring about her favorite flavor of créme brulée).

One of the agencies the Lt. Governor oversees in our fair state is Agriculture. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the state department of Agriculture in Indiana would probably not be a department with which I would see eye-to-eye on many issues. But the reasons are complex and much more that I want to delve into if I get to ask only one question.

So, what do I ask? Knowing that I am not asking to necessarily get an answer, but to make known the thoughts and concerns of food-loving people in Indiana? If you have a suggestion, do tell. Otherwise, it could be me babbling nonsense with nothing to defend my incoherence but the disclaimer, “I don’t get out much.”

krista February 11, 2011 at 9:04 am

what are the plans for CAFO regulations, if any, and addressing the concerns citizens have regarding industrial farming and the resulting pollution, not to mention the manure trucked in from OH and dumped here because IN has no regulations?

okay, that’s not a well-worded question, but i’m in a hurry!

katy February 11, 2011 at 5:41 pm

No, that’s good. I’ve had several people mention CAFO and manure-dumping issues, and one friend sent me a whole spreadsheet of current CAFO legislation. Thanks for your idea!

Krista February 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm

http://www.indianacafowatch.com is a link a friend just sent me. i haven’t checked it out yet, but FYI in case you didn’t know about it.

Leah @ Beyer Beware February 11, 2011 at 10:00 am

I guess I will meet you there! I am excited to see what all transpires. Should be interesting to bring a group of women together around issues important to moms.

katy February 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Looking forward to it! It promises to be a wide assortment of topics, it’ll be interesting to see what topic gets the longest discussion, if any.

Angie @ Just Like The Number February 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Wait a minute . . . we have to wear nice pants? I’m out.

katy February 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Well, if we’re lucky we’ll already be seated when she comes into the room.

erin from swonderland February 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm

i decided not to attend. mostly because leaving hal for more than 10 minutes is unrealistic. and because all of my pants have grease stains. if i do, however, have a question, i’ll be sure to post it here. let me think.

katy February 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Bummer. Though I understand.
Hey, the world is melting. My kids have been healthy for 4 consecutive days. There is hope for a playdate.

Becky Skillman March 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I wanted to thank you for coming to the Statehouse. This is the first time I’ve done a roundtable like this, but I’m glad I did. If ever I needed a group of advisers, I certainly have a group of knowledgeable, clever and creative women to call upon.

Katy – I appreciated your questions. Your passion for food is helping others explore all that Indiana agriculture has to offer.

Becky Skillman

katy March 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Lt. Governor Skillman, thanks for the opportunity, it was a great pleasure. You may have deduced from our discussion that most bloggers are more than willing to advise on many issues — perhaps enough to make the next one a Roundtable Weekend ; ) Kudos to your staff, too, for being so organized and making things clear and easy for a large group of (often) over-booked moms.