Unpacking, unschmacking.

June 8, 2010 · 19 comments

Our house is walled chaos, and I’m not exaggerating.

That being said, we are making tiny, microscopic-organism-steps of progress. Like yesterday, when I unpacked that one box of books.

Every day I have a goal — and ne’er a single day has passed when my goal has been accomplished. For a few days, this bothered me intensely. Tim came home one day late last week, and was met at the back door with an odor of wifely discontent so foul that he immediately went into Spousal Fireman mode, working feverishly to talk me down off my ledge of insanity. But then something happened over the weekend, and I’ve somehow now embraced the disorder. I might never unpack. What’s the point?

My reaching this point of apathy zen with my current surroundings might have something to do with why, when my friend Shannon told me this weekend that she’d discovered a cherry tree in the yard of their new house, and that the cherries were ready right now, I decided to load up the kids and head over for a morning of picking. I’ve got nothing better to do, right?

But come on, people — cherries. On a real-live tree. I don’t know if I’ve ever even seen one (she had to point it out to me when I got to her house), since those aren’t the things of the deep south. She handed me a ladder, I set the kids up on a blanket with plenty of snacks, and I got to climbing. The cherries aren’t hard to pick — they come right off their stems (should I have kept the stems?), and within 45 minutes or so I’d filled a 4-quart bucket. The hardest part is getting to the cherries, since the ladder could only skirt the edges, and the lower branches had already been cleaned. It became amply clear to me why there’s such a thing as a cherry-picker.

And, I have to say: while it would be idyllic in its own sense to be enjoying this activity in an orchard amidst rolling hills, I was mildly thrilled by the fact that I was picking beautiful fruit from a tree located in the heart of the inner-city. This part of town isn’t known for its Starbucks on every corner, and I basked a little in the rough beauty of the scene. The cherries are sour — I think a bit fittingly — and will need to be baked into cobblers, candied, sweetened and dried, and the like. I’ve mentioned before my obsession with dried tart cherries, so that’s my first attempt —  cooking cherries in sugar-water as I type.

As I type — sighstill sitting on the toilet. I suppose reality will set back in soon, probably for the eventual good of our household. But it was a good escape for at least one morning, with the promise of cherry-laden distractions ahead.

This post is part of Wanderfood Wednesday at Wanderlust & Lipstick.

Rebecca Martin June 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm

How funny – I picked cherries this morning! I was told by the friend who took me to the tree (overhanging a public sidewalk) not to pick the stems, and I believe her. But these cherries are sweet. I’m envious of your sour!

katy June 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Aaah, and I am envious of your sweet. Although I love the things you can do with tart ones, I also love popping fresh cherries into my mouth. These are not those cherries.

Rebecca Martin June 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Problem: I popped so many in my mouth over a two-day period that I seriously diminished my options for what could be cooked/baked with them. I think I ate half of them.

CK June 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Amazing. I’m so sorry you’re in the midst of chaos. But I’m so glad you found a cherry tree!

Dad June 9, 2010 at 8:38 am

Good thing George isn’t around!

katy June 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Dad, I was thinking about him just today; actually using his name as a foul euphemism for the person who chopped down a (reputed) cherry tree that once graced OUR BACKYARD.

Dad June 10, 2010 at 8:34 am

You can always plant one! We are really enjoying fresh picked blueberries now. I have been adding them to my morning cereal for a couple of weeks now. Billy has three bushes/trees in his yard. Interestingly, one always ripens a couple of weeks earlier than the other two. Had some this AM.

katy June 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm

We’re planning to do just that. Sometime in the next year. Also, next spring we’ll try out some strawberries.

Stephanie (Food Freeway) June 9, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Yum! Oh to have a cherry tree nearby… that tree looks amazing!

katy June 9, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Stephanie, I was truly amazed. So, very, many cherries — and so sad that many of them will perish simply because we don’t have the means to pick them all.

I’m going back, though, to at least try.

Wanderluster June 10, 2010 at 11:45 am

How beautiful! Something so much more luscious about picking fruit off the tree or the vine. Looking forward to hearing about your dried tart cherry experiment.

katy June 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. The whole process, from start to finish, was so fulfilling — and it makes you truly realize what a rare treat cherries are intended to be. Like candy, before there was candy.

DesignHER Momma June 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm

come fall, I know of a GREAT pear tree dripping with fruit on an abandoned lot a few blocks down from me. love it!

katy June 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I’m so there.

Nancie (Ladyexpat) June 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yum! Nothing like fresh cherries off the tree.

{ 4 trackbacks }