Back on the ‘book.

May 11, 2010 · 8 comments

Several months ago, I deactivated my personal Facebook account. I became frustrated with their continual loosening of privacy settings; I originally set up the account so that I could share photos, anecdotes, and random links with close friends and family — not necessarily to see how quickly I could garner a few hundred friends. When it became all but impossible to keep with that intent (not that I ever actually ended up with hundreds of friends — I don’t think I know hundreds of people), I gave it up. The primary casualty was my ability to keep up with faraway people, since that’s one reason the website is so successful (that, and giving everyone a really fun way to procrastinate and/or stalk old high school flames).

Since I’m still uncomfortable with my inability to control who sees my stuff (yes, I do know you can change the settings — but not like you used to be able to do), I’ll continue to steer clear of using it as a personal medium. But one day I realized — why not just talk about the food? Since I’m willing to do that already with any random stranger who is forced to chooses to listen, it seemed like the perfect solution. I continue to keep my private life in an obsessive-compulsive, paranoid void, and if you “like” me then (I think) I get to peep at all of your personal information. See how well this works?

So, if you’re into Facebook, or want a different way to get notice when I post, then by all means, like me:

Link to TFF’s Facebook Page

I have an ambitious goal: 11 fans by 2011.

katy May 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Ok, it doesn’t work. I can’t see the personal goods of people who like me. I must still first friend you as me, not as a blog. Which is going to be hard if I don’t want to keep up with the whole “being me” thing.

Sigh. What’s wrong with a little anti-social media?

I’d still love to be liked. Who doesn’t?

Dad May 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

I like you! But I don’t do Facebook.

katy May 12, 2010 at 10:01 am

Thanks, Dad. I’ll count you toward the eleven.

Stephanie May 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Hahaha! This post cracks me up. I may “like” you too, if I remember to. I love it when people who are both my real and facebook friends ask if I’ve looked at their new photos/posts/etc. over the weekend (or any time, for that matter). It’s not like I get on there to stalk people. I barely even get on there.

Jennifer Cole May 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

This is so funny to me, Katy! I’ve searched for you numerous times on Facebook as I wanted to add you to my list of FB friends, as well! I completely agree with your reasoning for getting off of it. I also am peeved at their subtle slackening of the privacy settings (often with little warning or notice). So, I guess I’ll stop looking for you there…I almost asked you about it the other day! Ha, ha…

katy May 13, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Jennifer, I caught a ton of flack when I deactivated — but in some ways it was very freeing. Of course, before I quit, I caught flack for making myself unsearchable. I was called a “facebook snob.” tee hee.

katy May 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Hey!! My intuition was right, for once: