So, um…

April 2, 2010 · 21 comments

April Fools?

(can you picture me, sheepish, as I type?)

Because I’m feeling plenty sheepish. Let me describe for you a scene that took place at my house yesterday morning:

I’m sitting in my kitchen with my kids, my coffee, and our houseguest. We’re doing our normal breakfast thing: once the kids are settled with food enough to keep them happy for a good 15 minutes (granted, my husband usually does this), I fix my coffee and sit down to check email. I notice that the “google” logo now reads “topeka.” I ask Tim, “Hey — what’s up with the google logo?” and neither of us think hard or care enough to figure it out. About 10 minutes later, I come across a tweet linking to an article about how boring this year’s google hoax is. Then I realize. It’s April 1.

An hour later, my older two kids are outside playing, and the Wee One is in her high chair. I sit at the screen door, computer in lap, and realize I don’t have much to post about. So why not go the way of google, and bore everyone to tears with my version of an April Fool’s hoax. I try for a moment to think of some crazy recipe to push on everyone, but then realize that would take too much brain power, and I wasn’t sure everyone would get the joke (what if someone actually believed me, and tried to make a junk recipe?). So then I decide: Tim and I opening a restaurant. That‘s one that’s believable for just an instant, but the Aha! moment would quickly follow, because the idea is THAT INSANE.

To me, it really is. But, apparently, not to many really great people who choose, on occasion — despite that gnawing feeling that it will probably somehow shorten their life span — to read this blog. I can only attribute this phenomenon to two possible causes:

1. Really nice and encouraging people read this blog. I’m still not quite sure how I managed that — since playing an April Fool’s joke about food is just not nice.
  2. The people of Indianapolis — this city on the cusp of great things — really are ripe for better food options. And this is an encouragement to me. Not enough of one to go and start a restaurant, but a big one nonetheless.

So, all I can offer is a giant, electronic apology. In our house, when someone apologizes, we have to look them in the eye. And in return, the offended person must acknowledge forgiveness was granted. I can’t do that with all of you, so instead, I have a small peace offering.

I will never open a restaurant. But what I do, really, want to do — and am working on this very week — is start an underground supper club in Indianapolis. I have a few friends — well-connected, as they say — who are also interested in this type of venture. This idea was born from our experience at a similar dinner club in Athens, and was underscored recently by this article in NYT. These clubs offer talented chefs an opportunity to experiment in ways they might not feel free to do in their own restaurants. It offers a chance for patrons to mix and mingle with those creative minds, and share a dinner table with people they’ve never met. It gives those of us with somewhat limited means an opportunity to have really good wine and beer paired appropriately with seasonal, adventurous dishes — an experience that is truly a luxury.

I’m in the earliest stages of conversations, and this will probably be something that takes much longer than you’d think to pull off — if I ever manage it at all. But we’re gonna try.

Perhaps, for no other reason than to protect my family from an angry mob of 8-10 people.

Maybe I should’ve said we were going to name the restaurant “Topeka?”

(BTW — hats off to Rebecca, who was on to me the whole time. Or at least she was the only one who voiced as much in the comments.)

Sarah @ Ordinary Days April 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

You got me! I’m way too gullible so I should have known better….
Good one!

katy April 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

Thanks, Sarah — I think it might have been easier to swallow for people who can’t see, in person, how trying to open a restaurant at this point in our lives would be the equivalent of marital suicide ; )

Rebecca Martin April 2, 2010 at 8:45 am

IIIIIIIIII *knew it*! Definitely a good one, though. I just don’t take seriously any announcements made on April 1st. Name “Topeka” would’ve really topped it off!

Oh, but a dinner club. I would love to have one of those nearby me. On smaller (and above-ground scale), I’m hoping to start a real food club, where once a month friends potluck (or cook together) a real-food dinner, and then talk about it. I’m hopeful . . .

Angie @ Just Like The Number April 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

I guess tweeting about it probably didn’t help things? Dang. I had high hopes of taking Mike to your imaginary restaurant every week to see what crazy things we’d try to get him to eat.

An underground supper club? I like it.

katy April 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

Rebecca, perhaps you’re a pessimist skeptic at heart. If so, a true kindred spirit!

Angie, that was definitely an “oh, sh*t” moment of the day. But I’ll admit I enjoyed it, mainly because it was such a great gesture on your part. BTW, I’m still up for forcing Mike to eat crazy things. Perhaps the supper club will be the ticket.

Stephanie April 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

Good thing I read your blog today. That was a hilariously cruel April Fool’s joke, Katy. :) BTW, you should open a restaurant. A tiny, awesome, locally grown restaurant. Wait until the kids are older, though, and you’ll have three built-in servers…

nan April 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

oh, katy, you are a rascal!! i was wondering where in the world you were getting all these investors and how it was too much to make bread for the farmers market, but not too much to open a restaurant. BUT, you totally had me.

good thing i’ll see you soon and you can look me in the eye and give me a true apology. :-)

katy April 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

Steph, I’m not entirely opposed to child labor. But I still don’t think I’ll ever open a restaurant. While I love good ones, I’ve never romanticized, even one bit, how hard it is to run one.

Nan, as long as you look me in the eye, in return, and offer true forgiveness ; )

Eric Vincill April 2, 2010 at 11:51 am

Good one. Had me fooled. Even to the point that I email Tim, telling him how jealous I was that you guys were opening a restaurant!!

Jen April 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm

haha, I wasn’t on to you…buuut, was thinking later how tired you were gonna be in the next coming year! I’m happy to know your rest is a little more secure now :)

Melissa April 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I should have read yesterday and I could have been the one to tell you how crazy you were. I missed my chance. I may have believed you too b/c you are adventurous, although I don’t think you have quite that much energy. Dinner club, I get.

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS April 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

No way! You totally got me. I still think you should do a restaurant. Well, I guess I should say, I think you’re talented and artistic enough to have a killer restaurant.

Dad April 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm

All I got to say is WHEW! I was going to wait a couple of days before replying because I had a lot of “what in the world are you thinking” comments that might have come across a little pointed. For the record, I do try not to curb my girls sense of adventure. But again, WHEW!

katy April 3, 2010 at 8:35 am

Poor Dad. Now I’m worried that I took a few years off your life.

CK April 3, 2010 at 10:49 am

I kinda felt the same way as your dad. HA!

Jennie Rader April 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Oh man, I already spread the rumor..but just to my husband…

DesignHER Momma April 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm

let me in on the supper club. no seriously, let my family it. I’m all about it….

SK April 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I thought it was brilliant. It had us going for a good 10-15 minutes. We were talking, “They’ve both worked in the restaurant business. Don’t they know how freakin’ crazy that’s going to be!? With three, young children nonetheless!?” It had just enough of the right details to hook us in. We started conjecturing, “Well, maybe if they only need to be there at night, maybe they could get the kids down and one of them would go over to restaurant…” And then it hit us what day it was. Bravo! Well played. No apologies needed.

Jessica April 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Ha! You totally got me! What’s really funny (to me at least) is that my first thought was -you’re nuts – but then, being a non-confrontational Midwesterner, I decided to tell you ‘good luck,’ blah blah. I was looking forward to trying the new place:) We moved to Geist in 2008 and I miss downtown Indy/Broadripple. It was just too complicated to have a baby in our tiny condo. I’m planning to take my toddler downtown more this summer. I should head to City Cafe sometime soon :)

{ 2 trackbacks }